Last night I managed to FINISH one project from the 12 Days class.. and I am feeling pretty pleased with myself, I can tell you! Although it was very nearly at the expense of my iron, not to mention my sanity.
The project is a fabric notebook cover with a very cute appliqued dog. I decided to adapt the idea to cover an A5 ring binder, using scraps of fabric I've been hoarding up the loft for quite some time. I knew they'd find a use one day!
Making the cover was remarkably straightforward - it even fitted the ring-binder! My next task was to use Kirsty's template to trace a sausage dog on to Bondaweb fusible webbing, iron it on to fabric and cut it out. This cut-out dog would then be ironed on to the cover.
I was about to cut out the dog when I realised I had traced it the wrong way round. Bah! Not really wanting my dog's backside to be on the front of my folder, I tried again.
This time I traced the dog correctly but then made a fatal mistake attempting to iron the Bondaweb on to my piece of fabric. My Bondaweb was NOT 'paper side uppermost' as it should have been... and it bonded itself very firmly to my iron. AAAAARGH!!!!
After salvaging my poor iron with brown paper, salt and elbow grease I was back in business, managing to get the dog ironed on to the cover the right way round. I added a white ear, machine-stitched around the whole thing and sewed on a black button nose and a green eye to finish.
So here is the completed folder... ta-daah!!
I think I'm going to use it to store my Banana Frog acrylic stamps. Apart from the Bondaweb-on-iron disaster, this really was quite a do-able project (i.e. if I can do it, anyone can..). I might even make a Christmassy one with a reindeer on the front to use as a Christmas planner.
Thank you Kirsty - for inspiring me to make a dent in my huge bag of scraps, for your fantastic instructions, and for all the other projects which I will eventually have a go at!